Happy Monday, ModernDomestic readers.
To start your week off right, here’s some good news and reading from the domestic blog-o-sphere.
- First of all, in ModernDomestic news, the excellent Cupcakes Take the Cake linked to my post about the Red Velvet Cupcakery opening! Call me a dork, but that made my week.
- Top of my blog-o-sphere list is Delleicious, who has an excellent roundup of Inauguration-themed cupcakes from local bakeries Hello Cupcake, Furin’s of Georgetown, Heidelberg Pastry Shoppe, Georgetown Cupcake, and Charm City Cupcakes. My favorite? Georgetown Cupcake’s simple and stylish cupcakes topped with a presidential seal.
- DC Foodies talks about what to drink in a recession, and apparently, it’s Montepulciano. Also, thank you for saying that Italian wine is “a bitch to get a handle on.” I’ve always thought that and have been too intimidated to say anything
- The Washington Post has the scoop on Obama’s Visit to Ben’s Chili Bowl. And did you ever wonder what the “half smoke” is at Ben’s? Serious Eats explains.
- Apartment Therapy New York previews Orla Kiely’s new home accessories for Target, which are scheduled to hit store shelves the first week of February. I’m in love with the bright colors, clean designs and retro feel. If anyone wants to buy me a Valentines’ day gift, (hint hint), I absolutely adore that tray.
- And for all of you who have already broken some of your New Year’s resolutions, there’s a good post over at The Kitchn about failure, and why it’s an important component of any self-improvement plan, culinary or otherwise.