Good morning ModernDomestic readers! I hope everyone had a lovely President’s Day. Here’s some news to distract you from the awful reality that our next Federal holiday is Memorial Day in May!
- For you coffee aficionados out there – would you buy Starbucks instant coffee? Because I wouldn’t. I thought that Starbucks built their brand around selling coffee that, you know, tastes good. Listen to the NPR story on the new Starbucks product line.
- Cupcakes Take the Cake has photos from the cupcake installation at the Smithsonian American Art Museum (for those of you who weren’t there, artist Zilly Rosen created huge, photo-like pictures of Barack Obama and Abraham Lincoln using cupcakes. Kind of cool. Also kind of random).
- The Washington City Paper has the scoop on the James Beard Foundation Award semi-finalists. DC folks on the list included Foggy Bottom’s Kinkead’s and Dupont Circle’s Vidalia for Outstanding Restaurant of the Year. Cork, of Logan Circle and Volt, of Frederick, MD, are also up for Best New Restaurant.
- Do you love cupcakes? Do you love Bees? Then learn how to make Buzz Bakery’s Valentine’s-Day themed Bee cupcakes on Best Bites.
- DCist has a write-up of great winter beers that are available at different DC establishments, to get you through those dark days until spring finally arrives.