Weekly Roundup: Internet Drama Edition

by moderndomestic on May 15, 2009

Picture 029

Happy Friday!

Happy Friday! I’m looking forward to taking care of a pooch this weekend, possibly seeing Carmina Burana, and making spaghetti and meatballs for Wonk the Plank. I hope your weekend promises as much loveliness. Here’s a roundup of this week’s internet news.

Recipes I want to try:

• Really want to try the goat cheese cheesecake from the Arugula Files.
  • The Bitten Word makes shortcakes topped with balsamic and brown sugar glazed strawberries. Yum.
  • Lemonnex makes roasted chickpeas. Simple, easy, delicious.

And in other news:

• If you like a nice old-fashioned comment war, check out Ezra Klein’s tepid review of Thomas Keller’s Per Se over at the The Internet Food Association. Klein didn’t think his meal at was worth the $275 price tag, sparking a series of criticism about the “amateur” nature of  IFA’s food criticism. The IFA stepped in today to explain the mission of their blog, which never pretended to be anything more than an amateur’s take on food and dining.
  • Young and Hungry interviews Spike Mendelsohn about his plans for opening a new pizzeria in DC. I’m confused – from the interview it sounds like they’ll be converting the Greek restaurant next to the Good Stuff eatery that Spike recently purchased into a pizzeria. I had thought that Spike was opening both a Greek restaurant and a pizzeria, but apparently they’re one and the same? In any event, in light of my recent visits to the Good Stuff Eatery, my expectations aren’t very high.
  • Carbs really are the new crack, right down to the purchasing experience. Counter Intelligence reports on Metrocurean that as of this morning, you can buy artisan breads out of Rustico’s sidedoor. Each loaf is $3, and you have to pay in exact change, making it something of a “bread speakeasy.”
  • Frank Bruni, the NYTimes food critic, is leaving his post to go write for the Times’ magazine. Does this make me a food geek if I feel that this is really big news? Via Young and Hungry.
  • I’m still not on the bacon cupcake bandwagon, but they’re selling them at Buzz Bakery in Alexandria. Via Top Shelf.

Bonnie May 15, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Okay, I give up. What is that green thing in the photo? I’m hoping it’s not brains.

moderndomestic May 15, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Not sure, actually. It was a weird fruit-type thing that I took a photo of in the fall. I loved the texture on its skin.

jacqueline May 15, 2009 at 9:43 pm

that fruit is an osage orange.
they are magnificent. bright chartreuse.
read about them!

moderndomestic May 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Awesome – thanks for letting me know. I’ve been so curious as to what they actually were.

jacqueline May 15, 2009 at 10:35 pm

you are welcome:-)

i only found them once in my life.
i am sixty, and when i was about five years old, i used to go to a beautiful, old park and explore in the hedges.
i came upon a bush filled with these bright chartreuse objects, and i still remember how surprised and shocked i was by their strangeness and beauty.
i only saw them that one time, and never forgot them or saw them again.
and then about two years ago, i somehow stumbled upon them on the internet and found out that they were called osage oranges!!!
it took me fifty-eight years to find out what they were!
it was like rediscovering what happened to an old friend from long ago!!!
the same thing with a tiny and odd flowering weed that used to grow in the sidewalk cracks when i was a little girl….a brightest blue, two petalled flower!!!!!
as beautiful and delicate and tiny as could be!!!
just last month after endless searching….i found out it is called an asiatic dayflower!!!!!
i hope that i can clear up all of the mysteries of my childhood in this way!!:-)

you were lucky to see an osage orange bush!!!!!
thank you for the lovely photograph of an old friend!

jacqueline May 15, 2009 at 10:41 pm

here is more information!
osage oranges also seem to be called hedge apples!
here is the link to a site with interesting information on them!