Your Tips

by moderndomestic on May 21, 2009

Wonk

A crossroads?

Things have been pretty exhausting around here. Wonk the Plank lost his job and is exploring a lot of options – some of which involve moving away from DC. It’s exciting for him to look for new stuff, and I’m filled with pride to watch him move onward and upward. But some days the stress and uncertainty make me want to crawl under a rock and sleep for the next decade.

Which is why I’m asking for some help. June is nearly upon us and I have no ideas for my June baking/cooking project. Usually at about this time I’m brainstorming away, but this month I don’t have it in me.

I also don’t really know if people find them helpful – does anyone besides me want four recipes for pound cake?

So I want your feedback. Is this interesting to anyone but me? Do you have any ideas for my next baking projects? Is anyone desperate to master, say, macarons, and would like a recipe tester? Is there anyone desperate for recipes that use a specific ingredient, like berries or fresh fruit or chocolate? I’m open to everything and anything.

Depending on what ya’ll say, I’ll be posting a poll to help me narrow down my baking project options next week.

Thanks in advance for you help. But no, really. Thank you.

{ 2 trackbacks }

Weekly Roundup: Three Day Weekend Edition « ModernDomestic
May 22, 2009 at 10:22 am
July Kitchen Project – Vote Now! « ModernDomestic
June 24, 2009 at 6:52 am

kaydee May 21, 2009 at 9:40 am

I’m very interested in baked savory goods. Like savory souffles and savory waffles (less a fan of savory waffles personally). How to get veggies in savory dishes- how to get the most veggies in your veggie souffle? I like veggies and I like baking (trying to watch my waistline I’m trying to take it easy on the sweets which is difficult!)

moderndomestic May 21, 2009 at 10:01 am

Ha, yes, the sweets kill me too. This is a good idea – I wouldn’t have thought of going this route.

Sara Mercedes May 21, 2009 at 9:58 am

I think you mentioned you aren’t on the bacon cupcake bandwagon, but I am SO intrigued by them. I never bake but I really want to try these.

moderndomestic May 21, 2009 at 10:01 am

That is BRILLIANT! NEVER would have thought of this. Great idea.

Rebecca May 21, 2009 at 11:18 am

i posted on your facebook page but to reiterate. I’d love a month of casseroles. they are comfort food and inexpensive. When you reach a crossroads, it’s nice to have something familiar.

moderndomestic May 22, 2009 at 10:36 am

I like this idea – but it may be kind of hot for casseroles, at least in June. We have window air conditioning units in our place, but there’s none in the kitchen, so turning on the oven means it gets roasting in there. Still, this would work well for the lunches . . . maybe I could save this for October’s project?

rebecca May 26, 2009 at 5:18 pm

fair enough… or you could combine casseroles with my favorite kitchen tool… the crock pot! The perfect summer buddy for delicious foods without heating up the whole kitchen. Plus it cooks all day and when you come home the house smells yummy.

Martha May 21, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I really enjoy reading about your baking projects! Recipes using summer fruits would be great. I always pick up beautiful stuff at the farmer’s market and just end up serving it with whipped cream or ice cream because I’m too lazy/unimaginative to do anything fancy with it. I am planning on making the ginger-crust mascarpone tarts – they look fabulous and really easy!

moderndomestic May 22, 2009 at 10:36 am

Tell me how the tarts go! I want to know if it works for other people.

Hmm, seasonality is a good thing. My sister suggested something similar.

Alice May 21, 2009 at 1:01 pm

I like the casserole idea! Or a price limit baked good – like under $20 per dish. Or, making stuff out of what you have, maybe put a limit on how many new ingredients you can get?

moderndomestic May 22, 2009 at 10:37 am

Oooh, that is also a good idea. Well, considering the Wonk may be soon out of a job, a price limit is a good idea in any event.

Joellen May 22, 2009 at 7:08 am

I second Rebecca’s casserole idea. I’ve never tried making them and would love to cook vicariously through you. :-)

moderndomestic May 22, 2009 at 10:38 am

I’ve never made a casserole either, although Wonk made one for me once. I’m glad you like the projects!

anita May 22, 2009 at 8:47 am

just discovered your blog via washpost — love it! an idea is for easy summer dishes that don’t heat up your kitchen (and not salads, pls)… :)

moderndomestic May 22, 2009 at 10:39 am

Hi Anita – so glad you like the blog! That is an excellent idea, especially – as I mentioned above – I have no air conditioning in my kitchen! So if I use the oven in the summer it gets really, really hot in our apartment.

Sara Mercedes May 26, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Regarding the baking in a hot summer kitchen, I just read a bit here http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=627#more-627 about baking a boule on a gas grill!

Deb Maggart May 27, 2009 at 9:37 am

I like the casserole idea too… Or perhaps a Jell-O theme since it’s summer (and I love Jell-O). Since it’s garage sale season as well, perhaps you could dust off some old recipe books and give the gems inside a modern twist!