Back, With Cake This Time

by moderndomestic on June 15, 2009

busy day cake

Cake to soothe the soul.

Hello Modern Domestic readers. I’m happy to say that I’m back to blogging, after my three week hiatus.

Just to keep you readers in the loop, Wonk the Plank and I have gone our separate ways, so I’ve spent the last three weeks apartment hunting and moving, leaving me little time for blogging and even less time for my domestic pursuits.

But I’m happy to say that I’m happily now ensconced in a studio in Adams Morgan, and while the kitchen is minuscule, I believe it is capable of great things.

I did manage to find some time last week to make a recipe that I had been hankering to make for weeks now: Orangette’s Busy Day Cake. The cake is a simple soul, which my favorite desserts usually are. Made with half whole wheat and half all-purpose flour, and generously flavored with nutmeg and vanilla, the cake has a sweet, slightly earthy flavor that marries well with a cup of tea or coffee.

busy day cake 2

Sometimes it's the simple cakes that are my favorites. This is one of those cakes.

You can serve it the next time you have people over for brunch, or if you have people over for tea (although does anyone actually do that these days? I haven’t had tea parties since I was in elementary school). Or you can bake it up, slice it into wedges, put it in the freezer, and enjoy the occasional slice with your morning coffee whenever you feel like it.

You can get the recipe for Busy Day cake on Orangette’s site, here.

Note: Orangette uses white whole wheat flour in the recipe, which I didn’t have, so I substituted regular whole wheat flour instead. It came out very nicely, and has inspired me to try more recipes that use whole wheat flour.

{ 2 trackbacks }

Weekly Roundup: Domestic Homecoming Edition « ModernDomestic
June 18, 2009 at 10:50 pm
Kitchen Basics: What Is White Whole Wheat Flour? And How Can I Substitute it? « ModernDomestic
March 18, 2010 at 8:04 am

Victoria Leavelle June 15, 2009 at 10:22 am

Yay! So glad you’re back and that cake looks yummy. Can’t wait to see the new apartment.

moderndomestic June 15, 2009 at 10:31 am

Thanks Joellen! I’ll be having a housewarming party soon, I’m sure, although the new place is still pretty bare at the moment.

Abigail June 15, 2009 at 10:40 am

Good to have you back! I need to know SOMEONE is cooking yuummy things.

moderndomestic June 15, 2009 at 10:44 am

Thanks! I’m glad to be back. Also, if you ever want someone to cook you yummy things, I am always looking for depositories for my baked goods and cooking projects. I am 100% serious.

Alice June 15, 2009 at 11:36 am

I really like cutting whole wheat with white. That way you still get the added nutrition of whole wheat, but your baked product isn’t as tough and heavy as full whole wheat (we used only whole wheat growing up, so I’m quite familiar with the heaviness of those goods).

moderndomestic June 15, 2009 at 11:57 am

I like wheat flour in some baked goods because it adds this savory note to counteract the sweetness (banana bread is especially good with wheat flour). But I think mixing it with white flour is key – I really don’t like it when all-whole-wheat baked goods have that heavy, chewy, dense texture.

Amelia June 15, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Welcome back! I read a lot of previous entries during your hiatus. Can’t wait to read the new stuff as it comes out.

– Amelia of Gradually Greener

moderndomestic June 15, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Glad you like the blog! Thanks for the welcome back.

Deb Maggart June 15, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Glad to see you’re back! You’ve inspired me… I must have a tea party soon!

moderndomestic June 15, 2009 at 2:50 pm

If you have one I can make this cake to go with the tea.

Ooooh, or I’ve always wanted to make Petit Fours! That could be a fun project and very appropriate tea party item.

rbtakemoto June 15, 2009 at 10:20 pm

Yumm! I’m going to be in your office tomorrow — I’m thinking if there was a piece of this on the conference table i wouldn’t say no. i’m just sayin’…

Rebecca June 16, 2009 at 8:35 am

Welcome back. Maybe we can have an all day cooking fiesta. I need one of those. I’ve been eating leftovers far to often.

moderndomestic June 17, 2009 at 10:44 am

That sounds like fun. Just tell me when!

Bonnie June 16, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I’m so happy to have the Modern Domestic back! Maybe you should look for other offices to supply with surplus baked goods. I’m sure any office with a lot of hungry guys would be thrilled to be on the receiving end. If they like the recipes, they can get them off the blog.

Amelia June 16, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Hey, that’s cool that you’re from the PacNW (re: your comment on my blog). I’m from Olympia, which is where my parents still live (and dig up those Oregon White truffles!).

I love DC and have no plans to leave anytime soon, but there’s something really wonderful about the northwest. And sadly, there seem to be a lot more foods that you can get out there but not out here than vice versa. I miss Dungeness crab and wild blackberries the most, I think!

moderndomestic June 17, 2009 at 10:41 am

My uncle Mike (of the comment below) lived in Olympia for a long time, and ran the KAOS radio station for years. It’s a really cute town. I also had friends in Seattle who went to Evergreen, but it was a little too out there for me – I went to UW myself.

I also totally miss the Northwest seafood – the crab and salmon just aren’t the same out here.

Uncle Mike June 16, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Welcome back, my favorite purveyor of domestic bliss. This cake sounds yummy. I amy try it, as soon as I work my way out from under all these boxes.

moderndomestic June 17, 2009 at 10:41 am

I just recycled all my boxes. It felt awesome.

TinaH June 17, 2009 at 4:14 pm

I believe it is capable of great things.

I would rather believe that YOU are capable of great things in your kitchen, but that’s just me.