Tonight, blogger happy hour. Tomorrow, Julie and Julia. Sunday, sewing class. This weekend is going to be awesome.
From this week’s Internet ramblings:
- Elpis and Justice is reading The End of Overeating, which uncovers how the food industry engineers food to be “addictive” (we’re talking about cocaine-like addictive properties here), and she is full of tales about the addictive properties of Cinnabons. Now, of course, I really want a cinnamon bun. Thankfully, Best Bites has a roundup of where to get fresh, artisanal, non-engineered sticky buns in DC.
- Speaking of (potentially) addictive food items, Buzz bakery has their own spin on the bacon cupcake – devils food cake topped with peanut butter bacon frosting. And you know what? They look really good. Via Metrocurean.
- Well, now we know – Padma Lakshmi gains ten pounds during every season of Top Chef. I love it when beautiful people admit they also gain weight – I love it so much it’s a crime.
- Young and Hungry has the scoop on DC Beer Week, a series of beer-themed events running from August 16 to 21. For the most up-to-date list, check out the event’s Facebook page.
- Gradually Greener knows where to get locally milled flour.
- The New York Times names Sam Sifton as their next restaurant critic, taking over Frank Bruni’s old spot.
- Lemmonex has returns to cooking after a break, and is making citrus apple cornish game hens.
- I loved reading this Washington Post profile of David Lebovitz, former Chez Panisse pastry chef turned blogger/cookbook author extraordinaire. You can get the recipe for caramelized white chocolate, mentioned in the article, on David Lebovitz’s blog.