My Ice Cold Bundle of Joy

by moderndomestic on October 1, 2009

Vanilla Ice Cream

The kitchen appliance stork came by!

There’s been a new addition to the ModernDomestic household. A new friend has come to stay – one that, I think, will greatly improve my personal and culinary life.

Say hello to my little bundle of joy.

Donvier

I shall call him Donvier.

Now, I know what you’re thinking – she’s being such a domestic hypocrite! I’ve railed against ice cream makers in the past – I called them “the height of appliance extravagance.” How can she possibly welcome such a thing into her home?

Well . . . I’ve changed my mind. But I have good reasons! Hear me out.

First of all, that experience I had making ice cream in a plastic bag really brought home the value of a good ice cream maker. Yes, technically what I made was ice cream, but it didn’t have the creamy texture that I wanted. Placing a bag of custard in a salt water/ice mix and massaging the bag until the custard froze worked, technically, but it was messy, splashy, inefficient, and an all-around pain.

Secondly, since I now live alone, I no longer worry about offending anyone with my excess of kitchen appliances. I’m not afraid to take up kitchen counter space with kitchen tools. These days, I welcome new appliances into my life. Hell, I may even ask for a Cuisinart for Christmas, counter space be damned.

And finally, and perhaps most importantly, my parents gave me this Donvier free of charge. It used to be my grandmother’s, and after it passed along to my parents they never used it. Who turns down a free ice cream maker?

I took it out for a test run this weekend, and the results were excellent. The Donvier may be a low-tech, hand cranked machine, but it makes a mean batch of ice cream. I used David Lebovitz’s vanilla ice cream recipe, and the results could have gone head to head with Ben and Jerry’s any day. The recipe calls for no less than five egg yolks, and the resulting ice cream is creamy and silky, without feeling heavy. I used a Tahitian vanilla bean to flavor the ice cream base – and the flavor was so subtle and layered, it was as if I had never tasted vanilla before. I served the ice cream over an apple tart tatin that was . . . well, let’s just say the ice cream was great and leave it at that.

So welcome, little Donvier. I’ve opened a space for you in my heart and my kitchen. Just don’t think I’ll ever love you as much as the Kitchen Aid Mixer.

Get this fabulous vanilla ice cream recipe over at David Lebovitz’s blog.

katy October 1, 2009 at 8:42 am

I’ve got the KitchenAide ice cream maker attachment & I use that more than anything else! My favorite is homemade sorbets….maybe I’ll make my “poached” pear sorbet this weekend. Or maybe a watermelon one…

moderndomestic October 1, 2009 at 9:02 am

The “poached” pear sorbet sounds fabulous! I’m so excited to try all these different ice cream recipes now that I have a real ice cream maker.

Watermelon sorbet sounds good too – maybe with some mint?

katy October 1, 2009 at 12:06 pm

oohhhh good idea. And a little rum (which would help with the scoop-ability). Watermelon Mojito Sorbet.

Alice October 1, 2009 at 9:12 am

Yay! I really miss having an ice-cream maker. I recommend other spice flavors with the custard base, like cinnamon or ginger. Someday I’ll get myself one again…

moderndomestic October 1, 2009 at 9:41 pm

I really want to make ginger ice cream. I think it will be a great pairing with apple and pear desserts.

theprettyproject October 1, 2009 at 11:06 am

You are really funny. Love this post. :)

farooqk October 1, 2009 at 11:13 am

whoa! that ice cream looks insanely yummy! Will you let me marry your ice cream maker please? Pretty please?? :)

vampiregran October 1, 2009 at 11:20 am

I, too, love my Kitchen Aid ice cream attachment. I made chocolate banana ice cream with toasted hazelnuts the other day, in preparation for recovery from my surgery. It did the trick. I will be posting the recipe and pictures this week. You keep aquiring all the gadgets you want and need. And by the way, there is no such thing as having too many measurig cups or spoons, in case you were wondering.

moderndomestic October 1, 2009 at 9:40 pm

I actually want a second set of measuring cups. I totally think I would use them all the time.

Steven Harris October 1, 2009 at 11:29 am

It’s October and chilly yet I now really, really want ice cream.

moderndomestic October 1, 2009 at 9:40 pm

It’s always a good time for ice cream.

Joanne October 1, 2009 at 2:16 pm

We got two ice cream makers for wedding gifts. One was the Kitchen Aid attachment, which we registered for. However, another guest thought the Cuisinart one with two bowls was superior, so we got that one as well. No ice cream has been made and our second anniversary is in three weeks. Such is life.

Costco is now selling madagascar vanilla beans. I was tempted, but said, what would I use it for. Now, I regret it. I could have made some soy vanilla deliciousness.

moderndomestic October 1, 2009 at 9:35 pm

I have to ask – how much were they? I have a couple left, but I totally want to restock at some point. They’re worth it.

Jessica October 1, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Is it soft? That’s one thing I never liked about ice cream makers…the ice cream was too soft…

moderndomestic October 1, 2009 at 9:39 pm

No, actually, it wasn’t too soft – the metal canister was really cold, and it actually hardened up nicely. I think, too, if you churn it until it’s ice cream-ish and then put it in the freezer, it will harden up nicely.

softballgirl78 October 1, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I fully support the ice cream maker…it makes such cold deliciousness :)

moderndomestic October 1, 2009 at 9:36 pm

Yes it does!

Phil October 1, 2009 at 5:00 pm

You made ice cream in a plastic bag? Wow! I have a whole new level of respect for you. Back in the day my grandparents had an old ice cream maker with a wooden exterior. I don’t recall the taste, but remember the ice, salt, and a hand crank. Sometimes the process and experience is as good as (or even better than) the taste anyway. If you’re interested in unique ice cream flavors check out this company in Columbus, Ohio: http://jenisicecreams.com I have not been to any of their stores, but have bought a pint of the goat cheese roasted cherry from a local market at it was a treat.

moderndomestic October 1, 2009 at 9:38 pm

Well I didn’t have an ice cream maker! I don’t really recommend the plastic bag method – although the NYTimes dude supposedly says it works. My grandmother had one of those old wooden ones – I think it made good ice cream, but you had to crank it forever.

Okay, so those ice cream flavors look AMAZING. Thanks for the link! So, was the goat cheese ice cream sweet? Was it savory? I am dying to know. I also want to know how to make “Sweet Corn and Black Raspberry” ice cream. Really want to know.

Phil October 2, 2009 at 3:59 pm

One of the ways they describe their ice cream is something like ‘less sweet and more flavor’ and that really is a perfect description. I wouldn’t go as far as calling the goat cheese roasted cherry savory, but it definitely had a nice goat cheese tang and tart cherry flavor. It was not overly sweet in any way, which I almost always dislike in ice cream or any dessert, and I appreciate that they don’t hide the goat cheese taste.

You can order ice cream on the website and have it shipped to you. The pints are expensive, but they are individually hand-packed and the ingredients, like the roasted cherries, are prepared at their kitchen. I also came across this Food and Wine article that includes recipes: http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/how-to-make-ice-cream-like-an-artisan She uses cornstarch and cream cheese instead of eggs…interesting.

givenchance October 2, 2009 at 7:02 am

Yammy! I do like ice-cream. you know, i am ready to eat it every day but i understand it would be not very useful for my health. i mean not only throat ache but my inner condition also.
This picture of ice-cream is WONDERFUL. i can not stand it, my friend! i think i will go and buy an ice-cream today. What a big power of your post!! lol!

carolynlee October 2, 2009 at 9:35 am

Years ago I bought one of these for my father as a hannukah gift. He used it ONCE! After he passed it sat in the closet in my mother’s house for about 10 years. I finally brought it home in February and have been making frozen yogurt with it ever since. My first attempt was with David Lebovitz’s Frozen Strawberry Yogurt – so yummy.