I feel a little dorky. Well, very dorky. Because I feel like it’s Christmas. For some reason, I’m totally excited about the impending Snopocalypse. I really love the snow – I love the sense of community it brings to DC. I loved seeing everyone walking around and talking to their neighbors during the last snow storm.
Granted a very, very good friend was supposed to visit from NYC this weekend, and now we’ve canceled the trip, which is really sad. But I hope that Snowpocalypse will force DC to show its friendly, neighborly face – and that’s something to be excited about.
Recipes I want to try – perhaps even during the Snowpocalypse, if the grocery stores don’t run out of produce:
- Zucchini caviar from Mango and Tomato.
- Braised radicchio with Parmesan from The Arugula Files. Not many bloggers can make radicchio look good – but Mary makes it happen.
- Spaghetti and meatballs all’Amatriciana from The Bitten Word (I’ve wanted to make this ever since I saw it on the cover of the January Gourmet).
- Maybe it’s gauche to link to my own blog post, but I really want to try Churchkey’s caramel popcorn recipe. And a friend even gave me tips on popping my own corn on the stove top.
- Tostadas with chorizo, guacamole and fresh cheese from the Washington Post. Yes, it’s a Super Bowl recipe. But I could serve that at a viewing of, say, a chick flick, right? Or perhaps ice skating at the winter Olympics?
And in other news – some Snowpocalpyse related, some not:
- Not feeling the lovey-dovey Valentines Day vibes? Katie at We Love DC has a sweet roundup of “Un-Valentines’ Day” events. I kind of want to go out with my single girlfriends on V-day, but mostly because it’s a three day weekend, not because I want to make an Anti-V-Day statement.
- Apparently there were so many people at the P Street Whole Foods trying to buy food before the Snopocalypse II, they stopped letting people in. Via 14th and U.
- Shaw Girl, Florida Girl in DC, and One Bite at a Time are all planning their Snopocalypse II menus. I love it.
- Hello Cupcake is holding a Super Bowl cupcake battle – they’ll be selling cupcakes with logos from both the teams (which teams? Don’t ask me. You don’t read this blog for the sports), and whichever team sells the most cupcakes wins. I wonder if they’ll do this same battle for ice skating in the winter Olympics. Please say yes. Via Metrocurean.
- Don’t have a Super Bowl party to attend? Best Bites has a list of restaurants throwing Super Bowl parties. Although, will they still be throwing them after the Snowpocalypse? Only time will tell.
- The Cupcake Avenger (what an awesome blog name) reviews Bakeshop, the new cupcake store in Arlington.
- Do you want to enter the hell that is competing on a restaurant reality TV show? The 24 Hour Restaurant Battle is having a casting call in DC February 22. Read all about it over at Capital Cooking.
- Jesus – the Georgetown Cupcake sisters are getting a reality TV show? Not sure if I love or hate that news. Via Top Shelf.
- Domino’s has supposedly “improved” their pizza. Tim Carman taste tests the new pizza over at Young and Hungry. All I can say is that if I need pizza during the Snopocalypse I’m either making my own or going to Pete’s.
- We Love DC is having a hand crafted cocktail shindig at Wisdom Cocktail Parlour on February 23 from 6-8 p.m (LOVE IT). Get the details over at We Love DC.