What to Bake During Snowpocalypse II

by moderndomestic on February 4, 2010

hot chocolate

They're predicting a snowy weekend, and that can mean only one thing: time to bake!

What the hell is up with this weather? I though that December’s snow storm was a fluke, but what with yesterday’s snow storm and the upcoming blizzard it seems like this winter is just itching to show us what a real winter is.

So yes, in case you didn’t know, they’re predicting a ton of snow this weekend – like, a 35% chance of 6-12 inches, and a 35% change of more than 12 inches. It’s looking like it might be a perfect chance for a snow baking weekend – you’ll be holed up in your house, with plenty of time to try challenging recipes.

I already wrote up what to bake during the first Snowpocalypse back in December, so here’s the update: what to bake during Snowpocalypse II:

  • I suggested that you try to make croissants during the first Snowpocalypse – the layered dough requires quite a bit of time and attention, so it’s good for a day when you’ll be home. So why not try to make puff pastry, another time-intensive laminated dough, during Snowpocalypse II? This would be excellent cut into strips, twisted, baked, brushed with melted butter, and then coated in cinnamon sugar for a tasty snow-day treat. Check out this puff pastry recipe from Emeril.
  • Speaking of sugar-coated dough, don’t these popovers coated in sugar from David Lebovitz look like an amazing way to start your snow-filled day? I’d serve these with scrambled eggs and bacon for a hearty breakfast before going and playing in the snow.
  • I fell in love with this New York Times recipe for Heavenly Hots – feather light pancakes with sour cream and cake flour –  and I think they’d be prefect for a snow-day breakfast. These pancakes remind me of the ricotta pancakes my father used to make us growing up – they were small, extremely light and just slightly tangy from the ricotta. They’re a perfect breakfast for a chilly day.
  • I was trying to think of a hearty cookie that would go really well with a cup of hot chocolate, and I think Laura Bushes’ Chocolate Chunk Cookies just might be it. These cookies have everything – sweet-tart dried sour cherries, chunks of chocolate, oatmeal, and just a hint of cinnamon. But they’re not overly chocolatey, so I think they would marry well with a cup of hot chocolate. For hot chocolate recipes, check up my roundup on hot chocolate recipes for the Snowpocalypse.
  • I just made Winter Citrus Cupcakes last weekend and I loved them – the cake and the frosting are a lovely use of winter citrus. But they’re definitely time consuming, especially if you make the lemon curd from scratch, like I did. I think they’d be a good snow day project, especially if you have some extra lemons and oranges on hand that you want to use up.

So do you think we’re actually going to get 12 plus inches of snow? And, if so, what are you planning to bake or cook during the snowy weekend?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 1 trackback }

Snowstorm Simplicity: Lime Curd, Squash Soup, Maple Candy… « Gradually Greener
February 10, 2010 at 5:22 pm

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

k8 February 4, 2010 at 10:16 am

We’re only supposed to get six inches. But I live in South Dakota, so that’s kind of no big deal. Last weekend I made cheese and homemade donuts while it snowed. I do think I’m going to try my hand at that lemon curd you tried last week, though!

Reply

moderndomestic February 4, 2010 at 10:18 am

Six inches here can shut down the entire Federal Government. We’re wimpy like that.

Mmmm . . .donuts . . . so, I have a ton of trouble deep frying things. Do you fry your donuts in a deep fryer? Or just a pot of oil on the stove?

Reply

Hilary February 4, 2010 at 10:16 am

I’m thinking bread pudding…

Reply

moderndomestic February 4, 2010 at 10:19 am

Oooh, that sounds good to me. Especially if you make it with challah or croissants.

Reply

elpisandjustice February 4, 2010 at 10:27 am

My mom use to make matzoh ball soup to warm us up after sledding, followed by hot chocolate. I love a good snow!

Reply

melanie February 4, 2010 at 10:59 am

All of these things look amazing. Some people may stock up on milk and bread before a storm, but it looks like I need to stock up on butter.

Also, it was really great to meet you last night!

Reply

Brooke February 4, 2010 at 12:02 pm

HA! I just did a similar post – snow must have everyone thinking about cooking. I really want to make some comfort food this weekend, and preferably not leave the house!

Reply

moderndomestic February 4, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Well, the Internets are abuzz with snowstorm predictions! I made ragu during the last snow storm and still have a bunch in my freezer. Maybe I’ll break that out this weekend.

Reply

Amelia February 4, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I made smitten kitchen’s sour cream pancakes recently. AMAZING. Maybe I’ll stock up on sour cream and eat pancakes all weekend.

Also, what would you think about the combination of molasses and chocolate? There was a molasses bar recipe linked on The Kitchn today, and it uses raisins, but I’m thinking maybe chocolate chunks could be good instead. But I’ve never seen a choco/molasses combo before.

Reply

Bonnie February 4, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Remember, a 35% chance of snow means there’s a 65% chance of no snow. NPR was saying 2 feet this morning not 6″.

Reply

moderndomestic February 4, 2010 at 4:48 pm

No, there’s actually a 70% (35% + 35%) chance of more than 6 inches. Here’s the breakdown (from the Post):

10% chance: Less than 2″
20% chance: 2-6″
35% chance: 6-12″
35% chance: 12″+

So, I mean, something’s going to happen. It’s just a matter of what.

Source: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/2010/02/pm_update_enjoy_the_weather_lu.html?hpid=dynamiclead

Reply

Kara February 7, 2010 at 9:12 am

Yum. All these look great.

Reply

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: