Maybe it’s boring to always be talking about the weather. But it’s March. Besides the upcoming Food and Sports Blogger March Madness happy hour on March 16, and maybe St. Patrick’s day, nothing’s really exciting about March. Besides, that is, the onset of Spring. Oh, and the fact that I have now have a ModernDomestic fan page on Facebook. Are you a fan yet?
Spring is taking a really long time to show its face. I’m cold. I’m cranky. I’m tired of shivering in my coat and sweater. I’m ready for something new. Spring, get your ass in gear.
Recipes I want to try:
- Oh my God! Homemade Twix! These look amazing. From One Bite at a Time.
- Chocolate hand pies, from a Measured Memory. I love anything chocolately and hand held.
- Blood orange and rhubarb crumble, from Biscuits and Such.
- Honey graham crackers, from Sassy Radish.
- Tiramisu with pomegranate juice and pomegranate liquor, from Mango and Tomato. Lovely.
And in other news:
- I’m not a hipster, but I kind of want to be a hipster housecleaner. No, not food related, but too delicious to pass up. Via The Hill is Home.
- So, every time the Washingtonian does a big contest, like the Burger Bracket or the Pizza Pool, I get really overwhelmed. Like, inevitably I haven’t tried all the places, and I feel like I can’t vote in all the contests, and then I can’t keep up with all of them. Which is how I feel about the Cupcake Cup. And yes, I’ve had a lot of cupcakes in DC. But I haven’t come close to trying them all and, rather than giving myself a panic attack, I’m just kind of ignoring it. But if you’d like to check it out, be my guest.
- There are a lot of tacos in DC. DCist sorts through them all and tells you which ones are worth eating. I’m kind of sad that they didn’t include Mixtec, in Adams Morgan – I really like tacos at that place.
- Dine out for Life, the Food and Friends fundraiser, is March 11 – get the scoop on who’s participating over at Dining in DC.
- Endless Simmer is holding a donut contest – create the ultimate Endless Simmer donut. I love it. I would like a chocolate bacon donut, please.
- The Tipsy Baker sings the praises of good white chocolate. She is so right on.
- Um, there are 95 cent cocktails at Occidental? Seriously? Seriously? Via Metrocurean.
- It may be overlooked, but the sandwich is one of the greatest food inventions of all time. The Washington Post has a bunch of great sandwich recipes for a crowd – ideal for an Oscar party.
- Girl Meets Food has a bad time at Vidalia during restaurant week, and can finally talk about it.