Help! What Should I Name My Bread Starter?

by moderndomestic on January 17, 2011

My wild yeast starter. Um, should I call it "yeasty?"

One of my new year’s resolutions was to start a natural yeast starter (essentially a sourdough starter but, theoretically this should be less “sour”) following the process outlined in the new Tartine Bread book. Well, I’ve been faithfully feeding my little baby for over a week now and, so far, he seems happy, healthy, and on his way to leavening bread.

But I have a problem – given that I’ve welcomed this new member into my household, I feel that he needs a name. But I’m drawing a blank on cute names (uuum, “yeasty?”) for my starter.

So readers – I’m putting the word out to you! What should I name my bread starter? I’m referring to it as a “he” but I’ll take names of any gender (unisex are fine too).

Leave your suggestions in the comments! Thanks!

Tartine Bread - promising to revolutionize my bread-baking life.

{ 1 trackback }

Poll: What Should I Name My Wild Yeast Starter? Vote! | ModernDomestic
January 19, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Becky Wolsk January 18, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Here are some ideas:
1) Seymour (as in the Venus fly trap like plant from Little Shop of Horrors)
2) Jabba the Hut
3) Madonna or Gwyneth or Paltrow (since I think Madonna and/or Paltrow are macrobiotic still, and probably would DIE emotionally if they were regularly fed white flour, and the concept of homemade bread probably scares her the way being locked in a Frito-Lay warehouse in the Doritos/Cheetos section would–um–scare me.
But maybe it is too cannibalistic to name bread starter after real peeps?

Pam March 19, 2011 at 7:21 am

I have had my starter for years – handed down to me by my mother – His name is Fred – Fred the bread is what we call it!!!

Martha January 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Reginald. No particular reason, I just like the name.

Jenny January 18, 2011 at 2:44 pm

You could call him Sacchary, which is kind of like Zachary only it’s short for Saccharomyces cerevisiae (baker’s yeast). OK, so I’m a big nerd :-)

Bonnie January 18, 2011 at 2:44 pm

A new member of the family! Now I have a grandcat and a grandyeast.

Alice January 18, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Hugo. Or Ceviche.

Elena January 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Yeasty Beastie

Deb January 18, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Why not call him Starchibald after Archibald MacLeish, American poet, Librarian of Congress and promoter of arts and *culture*?

You might call him ‘Starchie’ or ‘Starchikins’ for short.

Olga @ MangoTomato January 18, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I’d say call it Adam or Eve since it’s the start of things to come 😉

Rachel January 18, 2011 at 10:17 pm

You did it! How exciting … was it hard? I think that naming starters actually gives them the will to stay alive, too.

Hilary @ Cupcake Avenger January 19, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I vote for something really pretentious and regal-sounding, like Percival or Balthazar. Or Steven, you know, whatever. :)

Deb Cullinan January 21, 2011 at 8:00 am

I’m with Olga @ MangoTomato…Adam or Eve were the first things to come into my mind, for the same reasons which she stated. Great minds! Or, perhaps “Margaret” in honor of your Grandmother Huntsberger’s famous rolls!

maphatcher January 22, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I like L’Eve. Sounds like “leaven.” Depends how you started it. Italians left “grape must w/flour & water in cloth covered crock on doorstep several days to “start.”
Wiki says,”There were multiple sources of leavening available for early bread. Airborne yeasts could be harnessed by leaving uncooked dough exposed to air for some time before cooking. Pliny the Elder reported that the Gauls and Iberians used the foam skimmed from beer to produce “a lighter kind of bread than other peoples.” Parts of the ancient world that drank wine instead of beer used a paste composed of grape must and flour that was allowed to begin fermenting, or wheat bran steeped in wine, as a source for yeast. The most common source of leavening however was to retain a piece of dough from the previous day to utilize as a form of sourdough starter.”