Sweets for Brides To Be

by moderndomestic on January 31, 2011

This weekend we catered a bridal show.

What was I doing this weekend? Baking. And baking. Collapsing into a puddle of exhaustion. And then more baking. Spilled Milk was catering a bridal show at the Maison Biltmore in Adams Morgan – we did an all-dessert spread for the brides to be, which meant that I was up to my ears in mini cupcakes, whoopie pies, lime bars, and cherry ginger hand pies. And don’t forget the hazelnut and peanut butter brownie truffles we set out as favors.

The event was lovely. Amelia Irene, who owns a custom design business, arranged the event to showcase her beautiful wedding invitation designs, which I could have spent several hours pouring over (I love stationary. In another life I’d be a graphic designer). And the Biltmore is a great venue – the historic house is decked out in elegant, unique decor that would make an awesome space for a wedding reception. Who knew that it was right in my neighborhood?

Here are some pictures from the event. I’m a little amazed that, after the hours it took to get everything together, all my hard work fit onto a table. It seems like it should take up more space or something – like those hours of work should fill the whole room.

Tiers of mini cupcakes and favor bags of brownie truffles.

Cherry ginger hand pies.

Mini red velvet and salted caramel cupcakes.

Chocolate whoopie pies with vanilla filling. They looked nicer in person, but I'd be happy to take suggestions for prettier ways to plate them.

The full spread. It always amazes me that so much hard work can fit on one table.

{ 2 trackbacks }

Modern Domestic & Spilled Milk Catering | Spilled Milk Catering Blog
February 1, 2011 at 12:06 am
No Recipe Required: Hazelnut Brownie Truffles | ModernDomestic
February 21, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Victoria (District Chocoholic) January 31, 2011 at 11:59 pm

I think the whoopie pies (and everything) look great. Maybe you could set them up in a spiral pattern for variety. Or maybe that would collapse in a mess. It’s hard to say. You deserve a break!

Joellen February 1, 2011 at 12:34 am

Everything on that display looks so yummy. I’m sure it was delicious! I really want to try those salted caramel cupcakes.

K February 1, 2011 at 10:36 am

The spread looks amazing!!

Capitol to Capital February 1, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Gorgeous! The cherry ginger situation looks amazeballs.

Diane February 3, 2011 at 7:16 am

As for the whoopie pies, since all bridal parties are watching their figures, I’d suggest cutting them in half, then standing them on the cut side, and changing the name. Maybe you could call them half-moons ? or even cut them again in quarters, and call them moon-bites….They would be guilt-free desserts!! For your original marvelous recipes, you should copyright their names. There are 2 restaurant chains in the Pittsburgh area that have trademark desserts- the SmileyFace cookie; and the Frownie brownie, and they are very well known…Diane

Rebecca February 3, 2011 at 9:23 am

I like Diane’s suggestion. Small bites are a good enticement to get people to try the goods. Sometimes an entire whoopie pie or cupcake is too much.